Monday, February 21, 2011

Star Slinger

One of my favorite DJs/producers that I haven't been able to stop listening to. He basically uses a drum/sample machine to mix his songs, often sampling from old soul records and filtering them to make them sound spacey. He's gaining a lot of notoriety now and is a great example of a genre of DJ-ing called "controllerism."

I just love the overall "glitchy" feel to the music. It's not part of the Glitch genre but it's getting there. I can imagine the recording of my voice - or some other kind of audio - blipping, repeating, looping, glitching like this.

His newest music video that reflects his "spacey" sound well: "Morning"

Star Slinger - Mornin' Directed by Alan Jensen from Star Slinger on Vimeo.


Performing live in a comic book shop:

Star Slinger - Elizabeth Fraser (Live) from Star Slinger on Vimeo.


Ean Golden remixes the White Stripes:


In the end, I'd like my audio interface to operate in similar fashion. Maybe not for remixing songs (or perhaps I could - I'd have to have a reason for appropriating the act of DJ-ing) but definitely for manipulating and looping audio.

No comments:

Post a Comment